Get ready for a robust game of Maui golf at Wailea Gold. This “thinking player’s course” is the most difficult of the South Maui trio that includes Old Blue. Be prepared for sand traps everywhere and a “day at the beach” without ever leaving the course! The most difficult hazards for our Maui vacation rental guests are the spectacular ocean views including Molokini islet.
Every hole of this 72-par course offers memorable scenes of sunlight dancing on ocean waves, seasonal Hawaii whales breaching offshore and Haleakala crater reaching to the sky. Greens run true and fairways are exquisitely manicured. Almost all putts want to break to the ocean. The rolling, undulating fairways that add to the challenge of this 18-hole course were designed by golf legend Robert Trent Jones II.
Wailea Gold is well worth the money for golfers of all abilities. Attendants greet you with ice cold hand towels as you complete your round on hot days. Make sure to make time for a Mai tai on the deck after your round to finish taking in the magnificent views. Tip: Join the Wailea Gold Facebook page for weekly drink specials at The Red Bar!
Wailea Golf Accolades – Gold Course
Honored by Golf Magazine and Golf Digest as one of the country’s ten best when it opened in 1994, the famous Wailea Gold course was also recognized by the Maui Historical Society for its preservation of prehistoric lava rock walls during construction.
Golfweek named the Wailea Gold to its 2011 list of the country’s top resort courses. Other recent honors include:
- 2011 Value Award, Wailea Golf Club, up! Magazine (WestJet reader choice award)
- America’s 100 Greatest Public Courses, 2011-2012, Golf Digest.
- Top 15 Hawaii Golf Resorts, Conde Nast Traveler’s 15th golf poll
- Best Courses You Can Play, Golfweek
- Toughest Golf Courses – Neighbor Islands, Pacific Business News
Home of the David Leadbetter Golf Academy
This excellent practice facility has three state-of-the-art video rooms equipped with 37″ flat-screen monitors. It is the perfect setting for a student and instructor to break down the golf swing and create a plan for ongoing improvement. A dual layered practice tee totaling more than 11,000 square feet awaits groups of every size and skill level. There is also a short game area that is perfect for practice pitching, chipping and bunker play.
Maui Deals at Wailea Gold
- Three day unlimited golf pass is $450. Contact the pro shop for details and restrictions.
- Twilight golf at 3pm is $99 but does not guarantee that you’ll complete all 18 holes.
- Regular golf club rental during twilight golf is $25.
- Check out the Pro-Shop for a fine selection of logo wear.
After golf try the 19th Watering Hole – Gannon’s Pacific View Restaurant and The Red Bar. Epic food and views with contemporary design. A truly distinctive Maui dining experience with the best island flavors.
If you have played Wailea Gold, we’d like to hear from you with your favorite tips!